Day: August 22, 2019

Do not sleep with your smartphone charging in bed

Shortly after falling asleep, a 19-year-old woman from Michigan (United States) woke up with burns and a severe pain in her neck. Thinking that this wound was due to her collar, she pulled it out and headed for local emergencies. The source of this evil was actually different.

After examination, this injury was actually caused by the charger of her phone whose cable was under her pillow. The power supply was plugged into the power grid, but the phone was not charging at that time. According to the doctors quickly established the link:

We think that his injury was caused by the electric current from the charger, the end of which probably touched his collar, which allowed the current to pass“.

As a result of this incident, the doctors remind that “all devices using a USB charger can cause this type of accident“.

In addition, a study revealed at the beginning of the year that many generic chargers do not pass the electrical safety tests. It is therefore advisable to avoid first-price chargers of unknown brands to favor those of manufacturers or trusted and reputable third-party brands.