SAN FRANCISCO: Facebook announced Friday that it will separate Huawei from popular social networking apps to further comply with US sanctions and further isolate China’s leading technology companies that are considered a national security threat by Washington.
A social media giant has announced that President Donald Trump has taken a step further in order to ban Huawei from US technology exports, concerned about working with China’s intelligence services. “We are reviewing the Commerce Department’s final rules and the recently issued temporary temporary license, and are taking steps to ensure compliance,” a spokeswoman for Facebook told AFP.
The California-based company said that people with existing Huawei smartphones with Facebook applications will continue to be able to use and download application updates provided by Facebook.
Huawei has become the world’s second largest smartphone vendor due to security concerns from Washington, the move by Facebook is the latest. Last month, Google cut off the deal with Huawei and said it would be difficult to get major apps from major US companies.